한국산악아카이브 | KOREA MOUNTAIN ARCHIVE

본문 바로가기

히말라얀 데이터베이스

⌂ 처음 화면
← 산의 원정 기록

Venture 6 Colorado Ama Dablam Expedition

Ama Dablam · 2006 · 가을 (3) · USA

원정 개요

Crotwell and Gutmaan left C2 at 10:00 hours and reached C3 between 13:30-14:00 hours. Their plan was to hike up to C3 and if things are Ok to come to C3 next day. But they realized that the route condition was bad and gave up their attempt for summit. C3 was very cold and windy. There was no body on the mountain that day.

Cacy went up to ABC on 21 Nov. Her nose was congested and having difficulty breathing and feeling cold. Vachon went up to ABC suffered from cough, did not feel going further up. Werner arrived BC left next day 20 Nov. Werner told members that if they decide to climb the mountain he will leave. Members decided to climb, so Werner left the expedition. Cacy and Vachon left BC on 23 Nov. The two wanted to go for trek but Cacy's nose condition did not improve, so then they stayed in Namche waiting for Crotwell and Gutmann. Crotwell doing alone Gokyo trek and will return to Kathmandu on 2 or 3 Dec. Cacy, Gutmann and Vachon returned to Kathmandu on 29 Nov and will leave on 1 Dec.


Email from Erik Werner - December 2, 2006

My reason for aborting the climb of Ama Dablam was that I felt it would be disrespectful to attempt a climb, in the selfish pursuit of happiness and adventure, so soon after 6 people had lost their lives in a tragic accident. Our expedition had just descended from Lobuche base camp and arrived in Pangboche the day the avalanche happened. Initially my thoughts went towards the safety of the route and whether or not it was still climbable. Soon, however, my thoughts turned to the 3 international climbers and 3 Sherpas who lost their lives in the avalanche and how their families must be feeling. The next morning while still in Pangboche, we met the brother of one of the Sherpas who perished. His pain solidified my decision that climbing a mountain in the persuit of joy, while so many were in mourning, was the wrong time to do at that time. Basically, the risk/reward profile had become unbalanced, as the reward side of the equation had vanished for me. I wish I would have come to that realization while still in Pangboche, but it didn't fully grasp me until reached the base camp and felt the full reality of being there. So, there that afternoon I announced my decision to the team and I left the following day.

Now having some distance from those events, I am very happy with my decision. Although I really wanted to climb Ama Dablam and I felt stronger as a climber than ever had in my life, spiritually and morally I know I made the best choice for me by letting the memories of those who passed have their time and space to heal. Surprisingly, on my hike down the Khumbu to Lukla, I met two others climbers from a separate Ama Dablam expedition who went through the same decision process as I and came to the same conclusion. The gentleman was Bryce, but he was also a member of this fall's American ski descent of Everest team, so I sure you can figure out who he is. He was leaving base camp with a woman - medium height with dark brown or black hair. Both of them also voiced that they felt it would be disrespectful to climb on the mountain so soon after the tragedy.

  • 내부 원정 ID5488
  • 원본 EXPIDAMAD06340
  • 대장Erik Werner
  • 루트 (Route)SW Ridge
  • 최고 도달고도6300m
  • 정상 등정 성공아니오
  • 산소 사용미사용·확인 필요
  • 종료 사유산악 상태 (5)

참가자 5명

이름국적역할정상 등정산소사망
Erik WernerUSALeader---
Cynthia CacyUSAClimber---
Andrew CrotwellUSAClimber---
Ethan GutmannUSAClimber---
Ryan VachonUSAClimber---

출처·참고문헌

연결된 원본 Reference가 없습니다.